The Internet is a voluntary association of users interested in and willing to exchange
information and data. At present, there is no oversight group providing governance over
the principles, policies, or procedures for use of the Internet or the information and
data accessed via the Internet.
In order to facilitate their contractual relationship, the Customer and Host Depot wish to
define a working protocol of principles and policies and establish operating guidelines
and acceptable standards of use of the Internet. Common sense is the best guide as to what
is considered acceptable use. To this end the parties agree as follows:
Principles Governing Acceptable Use of the Internet by the Customer
Responsibility and Respect - The Internet is a network intended for use by mature,
adult users (and by minors when supervised by mature adults). The Customer recognizes
this principle and undertakes at all times to act with respect, courtesy, and
responsibility; giving due regard to the interests and rights of other Internet user
groups. This general guideline carries with it the following specific responsibilities:
Complaints about violators of Host Depot policies should be reported from our
e-mail form. Each complaint
will be investigated and appropriate action will be taken.
- Compliance with Laws - The Customer will ensure that its use of the Internet
complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including (but
not limited to) those principles of law which protect against compromise of copyrights,
trade secrets, proprietary information and other intellectual property rights, libel or
defamation of character, invasion of privacy, tortious interference, and export of
technical or military data to prohibited countries.
- Discretion and Judgment - The Customer is expected to use discretion in the treatment
and handling of Internet information and data and to take particular care to insure that
adult information is not transmitted to juvenile users of the Internet.
- Additional Domains - Additional domains on an existing web site are to be used
for the purpose of having more than one way to find the same site, not for the purposes
of sharing an account among multiple sites. An additional domain may not be set up to
reference a subdirectory within an existing web hosting account served by Host Depot or
any other provider. Additional domains are not to be used as a substitute for purchasing
- Improper Uses - The Customer will avoid violation of certain generally accepted
guidelines on Internet usage, such as:
- Using a non-existent e-mail return address on a commercial solicitation.
- Spamming - sending unsolicited email messages to numerous e-mail addresses or newsgroups and/or generating a significantly higher volume of outgoing e-mail than a normal user.
- Blacklisted IP addresses - sending unsolicited email messages from our network resulting in the blacklisting of IP addresses.
- Trolling - posting outrageous messages to generate numerous responses.
- Mail-bombing - sending multiple messages without significant new content to the same user.
- Subscribing someone else to a mailing list without that person's permission.
- Cross-posting articles to an excessive number of newsgroups.
- Attempting without authorization to enter into a secured computer system.
Host Depot reserves the right to determine what constitutes improper use. Violators of this policy will be subject to fines of up to $5,000, immediate suspension, and/or termination. No other notice will be given.
- Domain Registration Fees - Host Depot's service fees are
separate from domain registration fees. Host Depot currently charges $9.95
per year for domain name registrations.
- Knowledge of the Internet - The Customer agrees to obtain a basic knowledge of the
Internet and its operating principles and procedures.
- Misuse of Resources - Customers will not be allowed to use excessive
amounts of CPU, memory, bandwidth, or other resources on any Host Depot server or network. This includes, but is
not limited to, employing posts or programs which consume excessive CPU time or storage
space, permitting use of mail services, mail forwarding capabilities, POP accounts, or
auto-responders other than for the customer's own account; or resale of access to CGI
scripts installed on Host Depot servers. Participating in this kind of activity may result
in immediate suspension.
- Lawful Purpose - You may use, Host Depotís Services only for lawful purposes.
You may not transmit, store, post, display, or otherwise make available any information, software, data, file
or material in violation of any applicable law or regulation. You may not use Host Depotís Services to facilitate,
or otherwise assist in, the violation of any law or regulation.
- Child Pornography - You may not use Host Depotís Services to disseminate or display images
or other content that constitutes child pornography under United States laws. Host Depot is required by law to notify
law enforcement agencies when it becomes aware of the presence of child pornography on or being transmitted through
Host Depotís network. In such matters Host Depot maintains a zero tolerance policy to the enforcement of this prohibition
and Host Depot takes an active role in cooperating with law enforcement officials in their efforts to prosecute violations
of statutes that prohibit the dissemination of child pornography.
- Refusal of Service - Host Depot reserves the right to refuse or terminate service to anyone
for any reason.
- Security - The Customer is required to protect the security of its Internet
account and usage. The Customer's password will be treated as private and confidential
and will not be disclosed to or shared with any third parties. Customers conducting online
commerce transactions through their web sites are responsible for the security of all
such transactions, and shall not hold Host Depot, its agents, or employees liable for
any incidental or consequential damages arising from such transactions. Host Depot
recommends the use of SSL and PGP (or another encryption/decryption tool), but does not
provide any warranty or guarantee for these products.
- Storage - Files on Host Depot servers must be for web site
purposes only. Storage of unrelated files or use of Host Depot servers for the backup of
files is strictly prohibited.
- Suspension - Activity that results in an account being suspended
will result in loss of fees paid. No refunds will be made. Damages caused by the account will result
in financial loss to the Customer. Any complaints arising as a result of client activity will
be obvious grounds for suspension.
- Validation of Information - The Customer is responsible for validating the
integrity of the information and data it receives or transmits over the Internet.